The Last Pants 4
- Use and care+
- Environment and footprint+
- Pricing and production+
This is the 4th generation of The Last. You can find the final version here. Naturally, the 4th generation is somewhat more affordable. There are some differences between the generations that are not very significant but are good to know. The most important ones are that the 5th generation has:
- Wider leg opening
- Improved ankle tightening
- Waist belt with a tightening mechanism that holds well and is easy to adjust
- New waistband details for a cleaner look
- New type of button at the waist, attached with a strong band to avoid wear on the main fabric
- Larger knee-pocket openings for easier use – now positioned at the bottom instead of the top
- Improved fit in the crotch, knees, and inside leg for better mobility
- Slightly adjusted sizes, so a medium in generation 4 corresponds to between large and medium in generation 5
- Removed sharp edge on the zipper pocket at the waist on the inside of the pants
- Washing instructions have been moved to the inside of one of the pockets
USE MORE +
This product is made with durable materials and in a timeless design. This helps ensure that you can use it for many years, but its lifespan also depends on how you take care of it. If you take good care of your product and repair it when needed, you will be able to enjoy it for a very, very long time. Products in testing do not come with free repairs, but we are more than happy to assist you in doing it yourself through Use More +, a service that includes guidance on repair and maintenance. Read more about Use More + here.
ONE PAIR OF PANTS FOR EVERY ACTIVITY
This project started with developing outerwear for hiking and skiing. After testing prototypes, this has evolved into creating the only pants you would need on a northern road trip. Imagine going on a trip without an agenda; you might go skiing, to the movies, climbing, hunting, cycling, sailing or just hang out in the sun. And imagine that you only have room for one pair of pants. That is what The Last will be. Many people can't imagine only having one pair of pants for every activity. We wish to challenge that misconception. Own fewer clothes and pack less. That is the essence of our philosophy.
Read our entire design philosophy here.
MADE IN ORGANIC COTTON
The pants are made in legendary organic Ventile. You can read more about the fabric here. Here are a few benefits:
Wind and water resistent
Ventile is amazing in any situation. The only exception might be hours of pouring rain, but a big part of Ventile's fame comes from the its technology that keeps wind and water out. (It was originally developed for fire hoses.)
The fabric is relatively light and breathes very well. Unlike GoreTex, Ventile is also comfortable against the skin.
With Ventile you can sit as close to the campfire as you desire. Because they are 100% cotton, the pants are very heat resistent and will not melt. They also won't catch fire easily because the fabric has such high density.
Ventile is known for its patina – it ages well. That is also a key element in our design philosophy: Timeless. We have researched pants from the past 100 years, and have reached a cut, design and color palette that won't go out of style for the next 100 years.
5. Extra large pocket on thigh with water repellent YKK zipper. On the inside of the pocket there is an inner pocket for a beacon with an elastic band and a hook.
7. Fitted knees with an extra layer of Ventile24 on the inside. The double layer makes the knees more durable and more water resistant. The extra layer has an opening on the top for kneepads.
11. YKK zipper for opening for wider leg openings. When fully opened the legs are 11 cm wider and can fit over large boots.
See all features under Details further up on the page.
Below is a summary of the most important updates we have made based on feedback from previous testers.
We have reinforced all weak points discovered during testing to ensure more durable pants. Testers also asked for less of a contrast between the color of the shoulder reinforcement and the main color of the pants, which will be implemented in the next round. Reinforced areas:
- The "garage" at the bottom of the side zippers
- The bottom edge of the pants
- The crotch
We also made some practical changes to the pants to make them more comfortable and useful. For example:
- The loops for suspenders have been placed closer to the middle on the largest sizes, so the suspenders do not fall down as easily
- The thigh pockets are slightly smaller and have been moved a little off to the sides
This product is now in stock and ready to be worn on your next adventure.
To make sure we make clothing that can last a lifetime, we need your feedback. In our Community you can contribute in the development of new and existing products. Have thoughts on anything we should do different, a cool story or maybe just a question about the product? Join our Community and the discussion below!